- This event has passed.
Georgia Regional Assembly
November 11, 2022 @ 8:00 am – November 12, 2022 @ 5:00 pm EST
We are happy to announce that Rev. Dr. Jose Martinez (interim Minister of New Church Strategies) will be delivering a workshop, accompanied by Program Coordinator Wesley King, on pandemic-informed church at the Christian Church in Georgia’s in-person Regional Assembly.
Participants at the assembly will be convening around the theme “Re-church: Re-cast Your Net” from John 21.
In this chapter, we read of the disciples who, when faced with a new reality, tried to go back to fishing—and the way they’d always done it. But even that — what they thought they knew — was no longer working. That’s when Jesus showed up and said, “Cast the net on the right side of the boat, and you will find some.” With their nets breaking from the fish they had caught, they recognized Jesus.
With the new realities faced by churches and people of faith, it’s time to discover where Jesus is inviting us to cast our nets. Hosted by First Christian Church, Athens, the 170th Georgia Regional Assembly will include opportunities for learning, worship, and reconnecting for Disciples of all ages. Here are some highlights:
- Food Truck Tailgate Dinner will open the Regional Assembly on Friday evening at 5 pm. This is a town that knows how to tailgate —you won’t want to miss the fun and reconnecting!
- Opening Worship is November 11, at 7 pm, featuring Rev. Dr. Amy Butler, Interim Senior Minister of National City Christian Church, Washington, D.C.
- Youth will participate in the Regional Assembly with Youth Lock-in Friday evening through Saturday. A Children’s Program for grades K-5 and Nursery Care for infants through Pre-K also will be available Friday evening and Saturday.
- Saturday Session for November 12 includes Rev. Dr. Nathan Brown, Senior Pastor of Sandy Springs Christian Church, leading a morning Bible study, followed by “worshipful work” combining worship, business, celebration, and connecting.
- Saturday Lunch Options will include a luncheon hosted by Disciples Women with Rev. Sylvia Stroy, former Moderator of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Georgia, presenting “Called as Women to Serve with Joy & Purpose.” Disciples Men will host lunch with Rev. Tom Edmondson, Pastor of First Christian Church of Atlanta, Tucker, speaking on “Being a Christian Man in Today’s World.”
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Georgia