- This event has passed.
16 Action-Hacks to Attack Racism
July 15, 2020 @ 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm EDT
People are suffering. How can the church show that it is listening? How do we exercise Biblical justice as Disciples of Christ? There are some practices that leaders, congregations, and organizations can adopt to eradicate systemic racism. The Bible is clear that all people are made in God’s image. Racism and oppression are against the heart of God, who does not tolerate injustice.
You can courageously and radically transform your church and community into an active force for justice and solace when the world seems to tell certain people that they do not matter. Racism is a sin that needs to be called out. Will you use your voice? This episode of New Church Hacks will empower you to:
- Dismantle racism from the pulpit and beyond
- Engage anti-racism training at all levels of formation in your church
- Support organizations and community activists that are at the frontlines
- Discuss different ways in which others are fighting against racism
- Celebrate humanity’s rich cultures and diverse ethnic backgrounds and traditions.
The featured guests included April Johnson (Minister of Reconciliation for the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in the United States and Canada), Mark Anderson (CEO and President of the National Benevolent Association) and Yvonne Gilmore (Associate Dean of the Disciples Divinity House at the University of Chicago). Joining us on Facebook Live for our Q&A was Nadine Compton (Creative Writer/Digital Media Specialist for Disciples Church Extension Fund).